By Debbie Weaving
Now that the Covid-19 shelter at home recommendations are being lifted, and you are looking for a safe, US getaway, I suggest a luxury, outdoorsy, glamping vacation.
Lose those stay at home blues, by immersing yourself in nature while having a luxurious, all the comforts of home, socially distancing vacation.
Outside airflow does reduce the chances of getting Covid-19, but it is not zero. While there are fewer cases where outdoor transmission occurred, people still need to take precautions like wearing a mask, hand washing, and social distancing.
The recommended properties listed below are all following the CDC guidelines for sanitizing, masks and social distancing.
Safari West (Santa Rosa, California)
Safari West has brought the Serengeti to Sonoma. Nestled on 400 acres in the heart of California’s wine country, this world-class wildlife preserve is home to almost 900 animals from over 90 unique species. Spend the night in one of 30 luxury tents imported from Botswana. Built on high wood platforms, each has a private viewing deck, plush bed, hand-hewn furniture and private bathroom. Fill your time with safari tours, wildlife encounters and meals in the Savannah Café. You can even become a gamekeeper for a day or take a Winos and Rhinos Safari. Fall asleep to the natural sounds of wildlife settling in for the night.
Notice to our Guests:
In accordance with guidance from the World Health Organization (WHO), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and state and local public health organizations, Safari West is doing everything possible to minimize the risks associated with the disease COVID-19. We fully expect public health mandates related to ongoing operating practices to evolve quickly and want our guests to know that Safari West is dedicated to staying in front of the curve when it comes to providing a safe and healthy environment.
The following pages are illustrative but by no means comprehensive when it comes to describing the ongoing actions being taken by Safari West to provide the best and safest experience possible.
Safari West is working to provide a safe and healthy environment by emphasizing three key objectives:
- Providing for and encouraging appropriate physical distancing and limiting congestion throughout the preserve.
- Reducing potential transmission through contact or exposure through enhanced cleaning protocols and other measures.
- Reassessing continuously to stay abreast of public health recommendations and mandates.
How Safari West is Accomplishing these Objectives:
- Providing for and encouraging appropriate physical distancing and limiting congestion: Safari West is only accessible through advanced reservations, thereby allowing us to closely manage our on-site guest count and keep it to safe and appropriate levels.
- Signage and ground markers remind guests to maintain appropriate physical distancing during their visit.
- Staggering mealtimes and arranging tables and seating areas helps ensure physical distancing between guests.
- Staggering times between tour departures and varying safari routes helps limit congestion and provides for increased physical distancing.
The Resort at Paws Up (Greenough, Montana)
One of the pioneers of glamping, the award-winning Resort at Paws Up is what you get when you mix luxury and impeccable service with 37,000 acres of unspoiled wilderness. This family-owned ranch resort in the heart of Western Montana’s Blackfoot Valley offers elegant safari-style tents that could understandably be mistaken for glamorous hotel rooms. Also experience luxury tree houses that open in the fall.
This outdoor playground features 100 miles of trails, 10 miles of the Blackfoot River and 1.5 million acres of the nearby Bob Marshall Wilderness Area, making it the ideal place to try every adventure from horseback riding to fly-fishing to mountain biking to kayaking. Or you can just relax in the spa tents and get pampered to the soothing sounds of chirping birds, babbling brooks and tree-rustling wind.
Paws Up home.
Our immediate response is appropriately focused on protecting the health and the safety of our employees, their families, our community and our guests. For this reason, we have increased our focus on cleanliness across the organization. This includes a wide range of safety and cleaning measures in our homes, glamping tents, kitchens, dining areas, activities areas and of course our fleet of Lexus vehicles, and these actions won’t end when the virus abates. We remain closely connected with new safety protocols so that we can best serve you and provide the opportunity to experience Montana safely.
Following state and federal guidelines, we’ve cautiously remained open during this crisis and that has allowed us to provide a safe environment for people in need of a place to shelter, as well as stable employment for our year-round team. Our valued seasonal staff are slowly returning, as they do every year, to a resort eager to welcome them back.
We have used this time well to improve all our services and experiences. With the knowledge gained by remaining open, we are well accustomed to new standards of operations. When you find yourself ready to experience our fresh air, vast space and authentic wilderness adventures in what will feel like your own private national park, we are eager to serve you, and we can’t wait to welcome you back.
Under Canvas Grand Canyon (Arizona)
One of the most unique ways to experience one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, this glamping resort offers a variety of luxury tent options, including the Stargazer, which, along with an en suite bathroom, private deck and wood stove, features a panoramic viewing window above the king bed so you can take advantage of some of the best stargazing, thanks to the area’s lack of light pollution. Under Canvas is located just outside Valle, Arizona, on 160 secluded areas of beautiful piñon and juniper forest. It’s a quick 25-minute drive to the South Rim entrance of Grand Canyon National Park.
By virtue of our vast, outdoor locations and intimate private tent experience accessed directly from the outdoors, Under Canvas makes for an ideal choice for a socially distanced adventure this summer! No connected duct-work and stand-alone tents mean that you are breathing your own fresh air.
We have made operational enhancements to help you travel in confidence:
Streamlined Check-in/out Process:
- Main lobby tents are accessible for individual check-in and food and beverage orders/purchases only. Staff is on hand to assist, with one door in and one door out.
- Guests check-in via a touch-screen tablet, sanitized between each use by staff.
- No need to formally check-out. Simply hit the road and we email you a receipt!
Keeping it (Extra) Clean:
- EPA certified cleaning agents are used to thoroughly deep clean tents between every guest stay, in addition to all public spaces and back of house.
- Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout camp.
- Our signature EO bath products are in each tent for hand washing.